Sunday, September 18, 2011

Best Pumpkin Bread, EVER!!!


At our house, Fall is symbolized with the start of pumpkin baked goods arriving. Yes, it starts in July. You heard that right, JULY! I get the craving, and I start baking. The fall decor is not even out until August! But this pumpkin bread was the first thing I baked this year, and I have made a few batches already- I even baked the batch you see here to send loaves to my son at college. I have made many recipes over the years, and this one beats all of them! I have taken a recipe and changed things over the years, and you may also want to change things- it is very adaptable! Here is the recipe:

Best Pumpkin Bread, EVER!!!
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups solid pack pumpkin puree
  • 2/3 cup water
  • Directions

    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two loaf pans.
    2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon and cloves.
    3. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, blend sugar, oil and eggs. Stir in pumpkin. Slowly blend the flour mixture into pumpkin mixture. While blending the mixture add water incrementally. Pour the batter into two prepared loaf pans.
    4. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 90 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pans. 
    This will also make 6 mini loaves, instead of 2 large ones.              
    Changes I make: I often use 1/2C plain, nonfat Greek yogurt in place of half the oil.
    I also use half white and half brown sugar.
    I sometimes use half applesauce, or all applesauce, in place of the oil.
    Half white whole wheat flour (King Arthur Flour) makes it healthier, I almost always make this substitution.
    Enjoy, share the PUMPKIN love! Happy Fall!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Gingerbread snowflakes

    Gingerbread snowflakes
    Soon at SeasonsOfJoy.Etsy.com

    Cookie baking

    Cookie baking
    Spritz Cookies- fun to make, not too tasty, though!

    Lemon-Oat Squares

    Lemon-Oat Squares
    MMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!